The first step in using Mendeley is creating an account at mendeley.com. This is very easy and takes about a minute. Just follow the steps below.
1. Click on the red "Create a free account button" on the Mendeley homepage.
2. Enter your name, email address, and a password.
3. Thats it! Once you've created your account, you can add additional information as desired. Your Mendeley profile can be as robust as you want, including information like institution, research interests, education, and publications. Or you can leave all of that blank. You can always edit your profile later as well.
Beleive it or not, this is even easier than creating an account. You can download Mendeley Desktop to a Mac, PC, or mobile device (iOS or Android).
1. Click on the appropriate icon next to "Download for free on:" on the Mendeley homepage. If you are not already signed in, you will need to do that before you continue.
2. Once you have signed in, you will be brought to your "Newsfeed." Click on the arrow next to your profile icon in the top right corner and choose "Download Mendeley."
3. Once again, choose the appropriate option on the screen that appears.
4. Follow the download instructions. It should take less than 30 seconds.
5. Log in to Mendeley desktop using the information for the account you just created above.